The Port Announces Construction Management Contracts for Millennium Hotel
Companies involved in former hotel’s demolition and future development include multiple Cincinnati-based minority-owned businesses
Cincinnati, OH, Friday, September 25, 2020 - The Port of Greater Cincinnati Development Authority (The Port) today announced several updates on the upcoming demolition and anticipated redevelopment of the former Millennium Hotel:
- To oversee demolition of the former hotel, Turner Construction, the construction management company for the project, will partner with d.e. Foxx & Associates, a Cincinnati-based, minority-owned construction management firm and one of the largest minority-owned companies in Cincinnati.
- The contract for the actual demolition of the Millennium has been awarded to the O’Rourke Wrecking Company, a Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) located in Cincinnati. O’Rourke has committed to $1.6 million in minority spend on the demolition.
- For the anticipated redevelopment of the property, Turner will partner with minority-owned Jostin Construction and d.e. Foxx.
“Our goal from the very start has been to make the Millennium Hotel project a model for building a more diverse workforce and a stronger community of minority-owned businesses,” said The Port’s President and CEO, Laura N. Brunner. “To ensure these outcomes, we are partnering with Turner, d.e. Foxx and Jostin to create a team committed to providing diverse and equitable opportunities,” Brunner added.
Turner is recognized as one of the most diverse construction companies in the nation, receiving a grade of 100 percent on the Human Equality index by the Human Rights Campaign, and is recognized as one of the top 50 diverse organizations in the United States. Turner has worked in Cincinnati since 1903 and is the largest construction firm in Cincinnati.
“We’re extremely pleased to be working hand-in-hand with d.e. Foxx on phase 1 and with Jostin Construction and d.e. Foxx on phase 2 of this project, which is so vitally important to the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County,” said Dave Spaulding, vice president and general manager of Turner Construction. “We are fortunate to have great minority business partners on this project who each have deep experience,” Spaulding continued.
Since its founding in 1983, d.e. Foxx’s clients have included Fortune 1000 corporations from a variety of industries, and it has been named Supplier of the Year on numerous occasions by major corporations, including Procter & Gamble and pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly.
Jostin Construction has been in business in Cincinnati for more than 20 years and is deeply rooted in creating diverse opportunities for the local workforce. Jostin is certified as a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), and is currently partnering with Turner on the FC Cincinnati stadium construction. Jostin has also worked closely with Turner on other significant downtown Cincinnati projects, including the 84.51 Center and the Great American Tower.
- The first phase of the Millennium Hotel project will include demolition of the property, expected to begin within the next two months and take one year to complete.
- The decades-old hotel will be razed through a combination of mechanical demolition with heavy equipment and, possibly, controlled implosion.
- The next phase of the project will involve interviews with engineering and architecture firms to join local architecture firm Elevar Design Group, the largest minority-owned design firm headquartered in the City of Cincinnati.
- About 90% of the total spend on the Millennium’s future development will be spent on work performed by sub-contractors.
- All the sub-contracted work will be bid to local and regional companies, including minority-owned, women-owned or small business enterprises.
- The Port and Turner Construction have presented to the African American Chamber of Commerce and the Minority Business Accelerator in an effort to attract new minority-owned companies to the city to increase the diversity of the subcontractor market.
History of the Millennium Hotel
- After 52 years, the Millennium Hotel closed on December 31, 2019.
- In January 2020, The Port’s board unanimously approved issuing up to $59 million in bonds to acquire, demolish and secure the Millennium Hotel in anticipation of future redevelopment.
- The Port closed on the property in mid-February, assuming ownership.
- Over the past seven months The Port worked to complete the necessary due diligence on the 32-story, 872-room hotel.
- As part of this effort, The Port worked with a hotel-industry consulting firm on a site-specific study, conducted construction analysis to help determine the property’s cost, and examined various revenue generating models.
- In late summer and early fall, The Port worked with local agencies to empty the contents of the hotel and provide them to local families in need.
- The Port hired Building Value to remove all the items from the building. Building Value is an Easterseals organization providing on-the-job experience for people needing a second chance to enter the work force.
- Items donated by The Port from the hotel to families and individuals in need included: couches, lamps, chairs, tables, silverware, linens, ironing boards, patio furniture, and electronics such as telephones, TVs, hair dryers and coffee makers.
- Items donated by The Port from the hotel for recycling included: nearly 28,000 pounds of scrap metal, 1,000 beds and box springs, and four full truckloads of bed linens.
About Turner Construction
Turner is a North America-based, international construction services company and is a leading builder in diverse market segments. Turner’s vision is to be the highest value provider of global construction services and technical expertise. The company has earned recognition for undertaking large, complex projects, fostering innovation, and making a difference for their clients, employees and community. With a staff of 5,500 employees, the company completes $14 billion of construction on 1,500 projects each year. Turner offers clients the accessibility and support of a local firm with the stability and resources of a multi-national organization.
About d.e. Foxx & Associates
d.e. Foxx & Associates is a collection of distinctive brands interconnected with a common focus, each delivering innovative solutions to organizations with labor intensive functions and facilities with high traffic volume. With over 35 years of experience, it serves a client list of primarily Fortune 1000 business entities in the U.S. and Canada, employing over 2,000 people. Its results-focused culture has solidified each d.e. Foxx brand's reputation as an industry leader in each of its service offerings.
About Jostin Construction
Jostin Construction was founded in 1998 and is a well-established, Cincinnati-based, full-service construction company specializing in construction management, general contracting, and self-performed pump, place, finish and total package concrete construction. Using a diverse team of professionals, we are committed to owner satisfaction and project success by delivering a quality product safely, on time, within budget, and using the best practices in construction. At Jostin, we are driven by our “WHY,” which is “to create and provide a diversity of opportunities for all,” and our values - “Diversity Wins,” “All in, All the time,” “The Golden Rule,” “Best at Getting Better,” “Good Fun,” and “Go First.” Our “WHY” and values inform how we run our business and how we show-up for each other and the community, especially as we work through today’s challenges, together.
About O'Rourke Wrecking Company
O’Rourke Wrecking Company (O’ROURKE) is a Cincinnati based demolition contractor that specializes in all types of demolition including structural/mass, selective, interior, dismantlement, deconstruction, historical salvage and emergency response services. Since its inception in 1962, O’ROURKE has demolished over 20,000 structures ranging from professional sports stadiums, multi-story hi-rise buildings located in dense urban environments, airports, hospitals and medical facilities located throughout North America. O’ROURKE has demolished numerous icons located throughout the City of Cincinnati, including Riverfront Stadium, Hudepohl Brewery, Pogue’s Parking Garage, The US Playing Card Factory, Cincinnati Gardens, CAST-FAB and others. O’ROURKE is consistently ranked in the Top 15 of the nation’s leading specialty demolition contractors by Engineering News Record, the leading construction industry trade publication. O’ROURKE embraces a firm commitment to give back to greater Cincinnati, routinely contributing through volunteer work and contributions to the local community. Past programs supported include contributions to OTR’s Zeigler Park, the Career Construction Advocacy Program, Sprit of Construction, Toolbank, and other similar efforts.
Established in 1967, Elevar Design Group is a full-service architectural, interior design and engineering firm with projects throughout the country. The organization grew from humble beginnings to its current staff of more than 85 employees as Elevar continued to design in new markets and acquire new clients. Elevar Design Group is an EDGE-certified firm with the State of Ohio and is the largest minority-owned design firm headquartered in the City of Cincinnati. The combination of experienced, long-associated members working with talented young designers offers fresh, innovative solutions and approaches to complex projects.
About The Port
The Port was formed in 2001 to stimulate growth of the regional economy. Partnering with the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, The Port works to redevelop manufacturing and residential communities to build the foundation of job creation and livable, viable communities where residents can experience economic prosperity. For additional information, please visit http://cincinnatiport.org.
Visit our social media channels:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiPort/, @CincinnatiPort
The Port: Tom Millikin, 513-632-3835, firstname.lastname@example.org
Turner Construction: Kristen Smitherman-Voltaire, 513-515-1830, email@example.com